Monday, April 1, 2013

Thats Important...Write That down!

Ryan Reynolds in the movie Van Wilder (2002)

In 2002 the racy movie, Van Wilder was released and the infamous line, "that's important, write that down," was said after every statement all over the U.S.  This interesting part to me is that this catchy line is actually great advice, but was just written off a as line from a funny movie.

Every day, people come up with ideas on how to improve processes, items, etc...  The problem is that these ideas are never documented, and people just get right back to living their life.  

For the last two years each time I had a business, personal, or crazy idea I grab my iPhone and type the idea in an ongoing list I have for each category.  Then on weekends, I sit down and read through my lists.  Some of my ideas make me laugh, and some bring back some good memories.  But, the important thing here is that my ideas are documented and I review them often.

Since I have begun documenting my ideas, I have acted on 10 of them, with 4 actually becoming something notable.  One of those 4 ideas was a new way of prospecting large multi-national organizations for my work as a business development executive.  This approach helped me not only get in front of a number of organizations, but also resulted in me closing a multi-million dollar deal for the organization I work for, and generating a number of new prospects for me to work.

So next time an idea, no matter how crazy, pops in your head, or is talked about over dinner.  Remember the great words of Van Wilder, "That's important, write that down!"  But, also make sure to review what you wrote down often, and don't be afraid to try and act on some of those ideas.  Because, you never know what that idea may become!


Results? Why, man, I have gotten lots of results! If I find 10,000 ways something won't work, I haven't failed. I am not discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is often a step forward....
 - Thomas Edison

To Your Success & Prosperity!

No comments: