Thursday, April 4, 2013

Congratulations Marketing Grad! Whats Next?



This is one of my favorite times of year.  Spring is in the air, my birthday is almost here, and new graduates are getting ready to enter the workforce.

Yesterday I had the pleasure to email meet the first of many I know I will speak to this season.  Her story is like so many I have spoken to over the years.  She is about to graduate with high honors, and is trying to find a job to kick-start her career. 

So what can this grad do to make sure after graduation a job is waiting of her?  Here are 5 pieces of advice I would offer:

1. Start a blog yesterday! 
One of my largest frustrations with grads is the lack of sample material they have to share with me.  This is why I always stress the importance of a personal blog.  I don't care about the topic they are writing about (as long as it is not overly controversial) I just want to see consistent content from them.  My suggestion is always to pick a subject you are passionate about.  It will make it much easier to come up with content that way.

They need to write at least 2 - 3 posts per week, and share them with other blogs, news sources, etc...  This will not only help get them known in the market, but also get them used to how to get news into the world quickly and efficiently.

2. Make Twitter Your Life!  
I love when I see @Twitter listed as a technology skill, but yet the person has no presence on it.  If you are going to list something like Twitter, you better be all over it.  

My suggestion is to start an account and use a free app called Bufferapp.com.  This program allows you to load up links that interest you and it will automatically post them at scheduled times.  This way you appear to always be posting, even when you are not.  Check out my blog post to learn more about this: http://creativebusinessmind.blogspot.com/2013/01/how-to-work-weekends-while-not-really.html

Twitter is still one of the most important communications channels ever invented.  If you want a long career in communications and marketing, Twitter must be a part of your daily life.

3. Web Video! 
You do not need to create the next Philip DeFranco Show, but you need to be on YouTube.  I will admit I have not been as good as I should be about web video, but that is part of my 2013 plan for myself.  

Here is a link to my channel. http://www.youtube.com/user/SalesKing101?feature=mhee  

Web video is still one of the most popular forms of communication online.  New grads need to be all over YouTube.com and should have a personal channel up and running to show off their skills.  This will be a huge plus for your future employer as companies all over struggle with video.

4. Prepare A Portfolio! 
The main thing here is you need to get a portfolio together of materials you have created and a company has used.  Like in #1, I would suggest you look to organizations and subjects you are personally passionate about.  This way if you end up having to do work for free, it will be for a cause you are passionate about.

What I did early on in my career was donate a ton of my personal time to the American Diabetes Association, for the Tour de Cure event they had in Chicago. All of my work was 100% free, but I was able to generate a ton of material for my portfolio and get connections that still help me today.

5. Do You Know Your Klout Score? www.klout.com
Companies want people who are influential, and can prove it.  What a better way than having a score that you can show to potential employers.  Your Klout score is free to access and track, and supplies you with some great information about how well you are doing online.  

Currently my score hoovers between 62 and 63 (out of 100).  Anytime my score drops to 62 I get alerted on my phone, and know it dropped because I have not been as active online as I should be.  This tool has become my way to measure my success.  

Do not be surprised if you are asked in an interview what your current Klout score is.  I know I am asking!


Just remember grads, though the business world needs young eager people, there are a lot already here.  You need to show why you are better and worth investing in.  By following the five steps above you will be placing yourself head and shoulders above the next man/woman being interviewed.

To Your Success & Prosperity!

No comments: