Tuesday, January 8, 2013

New Year, New Focus!

It has taken me 30 years to come to the realization the setting a resolution for a new year does not work for me.  So this year I have decided to simply adjust my focus on certain things I am working toward and make them more important in my life.  For instance, I do want to lose weight, but rather than saying to myself, "I am going to finally drop this 100 pounds this year!" I am saying, "I am going to be careful of what I eat at every meal, and eat the way I know will help me be healthier."  The end result will be the same, except for the way I am doing it will stick.

So this is an example for my personal health, and it sickens me it took me this long to figure it out.  Especially since the idea is not new to me, it is what I have used in my professional life for years!!  Each year I use Christmas break to reflect on my last year, and come up with what I need to focus more attention to in the coming year.  So far this exercise has proven to be very successful, and I have started to do it on a more regular basis, still using Christmas break as my big reflection time.

FYI - I am in sales, so basically besides some self promotion work, my world stops for 1 - 2 weeks each year around this time.  So typically this is when I use my vacation time so I can get away and not have to continue to work while on vacation.  Just incase you were curious by what I mean by "Christmas Break".

So far using this method in my personal life has allowed me to drop 13.5 pounds and feel great.  But, the best part is that I don't feel like I am on a diet, since it is not some crazy goal, simply a change in my focus.

So if you have some kind of "resolution" you have set, I would strongly suggest you drop it now, and look to adjust your life focus that can make you meet your "resolution."  This I bet will prove much more obtainable and successful in the long run!

No comments: