Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Through Your Neighbors Eyes



When I first decided to come and stay in my dad's house after he passed I was not sure if I was doing the right thing or not.  But, today I was reassured my decision was the right one. 

A neighbor of my dad's for over 13 years came by to ask him about the dumpsters in his drive way, not knowing he passed.  After sharing the news of his passing she broke down.  Once she was able to speak, she shared with me that though they did not talk much, he was her only friend in the neighborhood.  She told me stories how he would come help her get her snowblower running each winter, and give her pointers on keeping her yard looking good.  She said every time she spoke to her family out of state, she always would tell them about John, the amazing man who lived on the corner.

My dad was an extremely private man, but always eager to offer a helping hand whenever he could.  He lived his life to serve others, in the military, working as a teacher and deacon, raising me, and of course how he treated his neighbors. 

I wanted to share this story with everyone today so you can think about it the next time you see a person needing a little help, to make sure to help them out.  Because, hopefully after you pass, your children can be at your home and hear such a touching story from your neighbor like I did today.

No comments: