Thursday, January 13, 2011

What Is Your Standard Work Day?

Okay so I will admit it, I am one of those people who listen in on others conversations when I am out. I mean why not? If they are out in public I figure it is open season for my ears. LOL!

So today I overheard a girl telling her boyfriend how upset she was that her boss asked her to work a couple extra hours to finish a project. She continued on explaining what she was doing, and then I heard something that almost made me comment.

So before I quote let me set the scene for you. Starbucks 7am’ish in Chicago an early 20’s maybe late teen couple sit in the big leather chairs with the coffee and macs talking about the girls work woes. As she explains to her boyfriend about the sales presentation work she is doing she says, “can you believe that my boss made me work a 11 hour work day to finish that stupid presentation!” “I told him right there that this was crazy and that I would never do it again!” “I mean who would ever work that many hours in a day?” “8 hours is what I am scheduled for, and that is what I work no matter what!”

I have not been able to shake what that girl said all morning and just had to share it with others. In addition, I was curious to see how many others think as this girl does about 8 hours, is 8 hours?

For me my workday never really ends. I will jump up in the middle of the night if my cell were to ring, just incase it is a client or prospect that needs me. I mean I even had my cell (on vibrate) in my tux coat at my wedding ceremony and more than likely would not have hesitated to answer it. On average I would say I work a 10 – 12 hour workday, and many times even put in quite a few hours on the weekends. For me it is not because I believe my boss requires me to do this, it is because I want to be the best I can be at what I do. I just cannot for the life of me understand why a person in a sales support role would feel like this girl does!!

I am a firm believer in the old motto that the way you work defines you as a man/woman. Over the last few years I worry about the youth and even my generation forgetting this motto. This motto is why we have the Steve Jobs, Bill Gates, and Sr. Richard Branson’s in the world. If my generation and the ones following do not begin to understand this soon, I fear for the future of this great nation that we are about to lead.

They need to understand the government is not our parents! They are not responsible to see that you are clothed and sheltered. They are here simply to provide you the freedom and protection for you to do what you want to do to make an honest buck and spend it like you want. THAT’S IT!

We just all have to know and embrace that the world is not fair, nor should it be. If you want to make money, you need to work HARD for it. Like everyone’s grandfather said, “all that is guaranteed in life is death and taxes.”

So get out there, stop complaining, and get to work! That is all it will take to get our nation back on track.

No comments: