Tuesday, December 21, 2010

On Your Mark... Get Set... Go!

Triathlete, a title that most people believe is to far out of reach. For me it was a title I as committed to earning, and most importantly keep. Today after about a 1.5 month hiatus from my training I met with my Tri-Coach, Craig Strong with Precision Multisport to go over what it was going to take to get me back on track for my June 4th meeting with the Kona, HI Half Ironman. It was a great meeting; one that I know will be a turning point of my triathlon journey.

Craig was honest and to the point that I have a ton of work ahead of me and that I need to get started NOW! Craig explained how my focus must be on swimming, running, and then biking. He let me know that he was confident in my biking abilities and that I would need to upkeep those abilities and yes work on increasing my overall speed, but that my swim and run needed the most work. He did reassure me that there is enough time still, but that I cannot break from schedule again.

We also began to review time goals for each individual component of the Half Ironman. He explained to me that having the goal of completing the distance is great, but that I also need to begin to pay attention to time. The reason for this, he explained, was that as I complete these distances I would need new goals to keep me going. Time is what my goals will ultimately turn to once the distance goals are accomplished. So to prepare me for that shift he said it is best to start teaching me to set time goals early. So today we set some very modest time goals for my first ever Half Ironman…
  • 1.2 Mile Swim: 45 Minutes
  • T1: 3 Minutes
  • 56 Mile Bike: 3 Hours
  • T2: 4 Minutes
  • 13.1 Mile Run: 3 Hours
  • 70.3 Finnish Time Goal: 06:52:00
Again these are very initial and just a place to start. Craig explained that as we get closer these numbers would be adjusted to fit what is realistic. The main goal is to make certain that I make the cut off times and finish strong.

Looking over the numbers I am excited by them. For the first time I really have solid numbers to help measure my progress toward my goal. Well now all that is left is some hard work and solid effort! Lets get to it!

No comments: